Wednesday, August 20, 2008

You can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends' nose?

Whoever said that was full of it.

Cosmetic surgery in today's day and age is an amazing thing. Image alteration software are becoming better and better and I for the longest time wasn't a huge believer in it. I thought that this tool was used more to "sell a procedure" and show the magic one could do with the computer. Surgeon's fear using it today's litigious society, because they can not guarantee these results for the patient. There is definitely a role for it, as my personal beliefs have changed.

Please read the following true story from an encounter with a patient that visited my office:
"I just recently has a patient visit the office for a rhinoplasty (nose job). The person had a pretty nose but I felt it was slightly wider, then it should be and she had a hump that I believed was unattractive in a profile view. I pointed these things out to the patient with a mirror, and we agreed these things should be addressed.

I then took photos of her and showed her what she would resemble after we accomplished these goals using the computer prediction software. I loved the result. So did my staff, her parents, and her friend that she had brought to the consultation. She did not like it. I asked her to find some pictures of her own from magazines that exemplified the perfect nose for her.

She returned to the office with photos of a celebrity famous in her culture. She, by textbook definition, had a very imperfect nose. Showing this photo to colleagues of mine, we all concurred, that this nose had many flaws. This was the nose she liked. I superimposed this nose on her face, and she loved it. This was the nosed she wanted."

Noses are a very "picky" anatomical landmark. The ideal dimensions and projections of a nose are one thing. Whether it fits someones personality, ethic identity, or actual face is something else. There is truly no better way to demonstrate these concepts to a patient than computer software that can perform prediction surgery.

Please make sure, before agreeing to undergo rhinoplasty surgery or any surgery for that matter, that you have a clear vision and that your doctor shares this vision with you. Never tell a doctor, "I trust you, you are the expert". These are words I hear all the time. Although flattering, this is your face. Patrick Dempsey doesn't have a perfect nose, but it works on his face. Halle Berry's nose looks much better after surgery than it did prior. Bring in photos, bring in your friends, bring in your opinions, make sure you are being heard. This is your face.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for your words of wisdom!

January 29, 2009 at 7:16 PM  
Blogger Dr. Scott M Blyer said...

That's what I'm here for.

January 30, 2009 at 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home